- Be a part of Australia's independent national broadcaster
- Location: Karratha, WA
- Working in isolated locations attracts allowances above the base salary rate
About the ABC
The ABC is the nation's most trusted and independent source of Australian conversations, culture, and stories. With over 4,000 employees from diverse backgrounds based in more than 50 locations around Australia and overseas, the ABC is proud to create, curate and deliver high-quality content that informs, educates and entertains.
About ABC Regional & Local
The ABC Regional & Local team is about Australian communities and conversations. We make distinctive stories and events that connect communities and shape lives. We are about real people, real places and real life. We have eight capital city radio stations and a network of 44 regional bureaux across Australia. Our Sport and Live Events team focuses on regional and local content for all our platforms, including TV, Radio and online.
About the Role
Come and work in one of the most interesting patches in Australia. The massive Pilbara and Gascoyne regions cover two World Heritage Listed national parks, Shark Bay and Ningaloo Reef, the multi-billion iron ore mining industry and an ancient landscape and culture. Based in Karratha, WA, there would be few places where you can go for a swim in the ocean, watch whales frolicking from the shore and have the chance to see thousands of ancient indigenous rock carvings.
ABC Regional and Local is looking for an enthusiastic and talented reporter to create compelling news content across all platforms in line with ABC goals and strategies.
- Produce accurate, concise and clear stories for radio, television, online and social media for local, state and national audiences.
- Present radio news bulletins, participate in Q&As, conduct interviews and create radio packages
- Break news stories, and create compelling original content
- Actively identify news content that could travel to other content areas across the ABC
- Be a positive member of the small team, and liaise with the Chief of Staff and team regarding all content
You will be a journalist with good editorial skills and experience with breaking news and generating original stories in a daily news environment.
You will also have:
- Well-developed cross-platform production skills in radio, digital, video, and social media
- A solid understanding of editorial policies and sound news judgement
- Confident broadcast presentation skills including live presentation
- Good time management and communication skills
- Demonstrated understanding of stories and issues in the Pilbara and Gascoyne region
- Current valid driver's license
How to Apply
Please complete the online application form and submit as part of your application a Cover Letter and Resume.
We would love to see your work. Please submit material with your application online (include examples, links to websites or attach audio/video files up to 5MB).
For an overview of the role, please refer to the position description: 30003085 REPORTER NEWS (1).pdf
For further information please contact on Karen Michelmore, Chief of Staff, Karratha on (08) 9183 5010
Applications Close: 11:55 pm, 11 March 2020
For more information on working at the ABC visit abc.net.au/careers
We respectfully request that Recruitment Agencies do not submit applications for this position.
The ABC strives for equity and diversity in the workplace, and to promote a culture of opportunity. Through its services the ABC seeks to represent, connect and engage with all of the Australian community. In line with our focus on diversity, applications are strongly encouraged from Indigenous Australians, people from a range of cultural and linguistic backgrounds and people with disabilities. The ABC also aims to achieve a gender-balanced workforce.