- Work on the Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Future Science Platform.
- Investigate, design and proof-check new ML algorithms for privacy preserving learning
- Join CSIRO’s Data61, the largest data innovation group in Australia
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years relevant postdoctoral work experience.
The Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Future Science Platform (MLAI FSP) will build an exciting new research portfolio to leverage CSIRO’s deep domain expertise and experience. It will explore questions such as: How do we use machine learning to augment a scientist’s ability to generate and learn from scientific data? What is the best way to include domain constraints (such as physical laws) and design constraints (such as privacy and fairness) into machine learning models? Where can we exploit genomic information in plant and animal breeding? Why is deep learning so effective in extracting meaningful features? Solving these types of challenges will open new vistas of scientific knowledge and positive impact.
As a member of the Platform team, you will work with top CSIRO scientists and engineers to develop new machine learning and artificial intelligence methods with a specific emphasis on solving significant science questions. Together we will build the next generation of science tools using high-performance computing infrastructure and cloud technologies to underpin the next generation of Australian science.
Your duties will include:
- Investigating, designing and proof-checking new ML algorithms for privacy preserving learning and/or frameworks for secure scalable federated learning and/or optimised core ML functionalities for secure and private learning
- Implementing and evaluating these methods efficiently using programming tools such as Python, R, C++.
- Demonstrating the competitiveness and fitness for purpose of these implementations, taking responsibility for functionality, performance and robustness.
Location: Eveleigh, NSW
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
Salary: AU$86K – AU$94K + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a Platform-relevant discipline area, such as machine learning, artificial intelligence, computer science, statistics, privacy/crypto or applied mathematics. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Solid fundamental and applied knowledge of machine learning and statistics and/or information privacy.
- The ability to understand and develop mathematically-founded machine learning and/or privacy enhancing algorithms and their development in toolkits.
- High level computational and programming skills (in Python, R, or C++) to build machine learning models and conduct analyses.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to effectively represent the research team internally and externally, including publishing in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, and presenting at national and/or international conferences.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations, preferably across diverse and inclusive teams.
For more information please view the Position Description.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent and be able to commence in late 2020/early 2021.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Thursday, 30th July 2020 at 11:59PM AEST