- Are you a strategic, collaborative and inclusive science leader?
- Sets the vision and strategy for the Analytics and Decision Sciences research program
- Join CSIRO's Data61 as the integral member of the leadership team
Data61 is now looking for the Research Director – Analytics and Decision Sciences to join new Director Professor Jon Whittle’s Leadership Team and oversee the Analytics and Decision Sciences (A&DS) Program. A&DS has a focus on hybrid approaches to analytics and modelling, trusted analytics, and analytics embedded in fields such as climate science, bushfire prediction and agriculture. The program seeks to deliver on CSIRO’s mandate for world-class research that provides innovative solutions for industry, government and the community.
The Research Director sets the vision and strategy for the Program as well as being responsible for its operation. The successful candidate must be a strategic, collaborative and inclusive science leader who wants to carry out excellent science and solve practical problems with a team of like-minded peers. They will work as part of a cohesive and collegiate Leadership Team, including other Research Directors, to realise Data61’s vision and work collaboratively with colleagues across CSIRO on developing an agenda for tackling the nation’s greatest challenges.
For more about Data61 Analytics and Decision Sciences (A&DS) research program, please visit: https://data61.csiro.au/en/Our-Research/Programs-and-Facilities/Analytics-and-decision-sciencesv
Your duties will include:
Impact Science Leadership
- Build on team success, review and implement Data61 Analytics and Decision Sciences (A&DS) research program’s strategic plan
- Lead the A&DS program to develop and realise its science vision in partnership with stakeholders and science partners
- Communicate the Program’s vision to inspire staff and sustain and nurture awareness of Data61’s science quality and impact in the broader Australian community
- Attract, develop and retain world class talent which meet current and future needs in the short and longer term
Engagement and Partnerships
- In consultation with research partners and end users, develop a roadmap for a deeper and more effective national partnership across industry and government issues
- Build strategic relationships within the organisation to execute CSIRO and Data61 strategy, including fostering mobility and cross-deployment of staff, and developing productive relationships
- Lead and manage the Program’s financial resources, people, infrastructure and other assets to ensure their effective, sustainable and efficient use
- Ensure best practice governance and management of commercial activities and intellectual property in the Program
Location: Negotiable – Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Canberra
Salary: Attractive salary package is negotiable
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential criteria can be appointed.
- A doctorate and/or equivalent research leadership experience in a relevant data/digital science discipline, such as analytics, artificial intelligence, mathematical sciences.
- Evidence of ability to strategically develop programs and opportunities that respond to national and global research challenges, drawing from knowledge in at least one of the following domains:
- Advanced analytics, including data-driven (e.g., machine learning, statistical), knowledge and physics driven (e.g., particle-based modelling) and human-driven (e.g., natural language processing)
- Trust in analytics, including socio-technical considerations
- Embedded and in-context analytics, including internet of things and distributed sensing, digital twins, and human-centred design
- Interdisciplinary analytics in specific application domains, including fire science, computational social science, hybrid prediction, biomolecular visualisation, flooding and coastal inundation modelling, invasive species, and genomics for bio-prediction.
- Evidence of successful development and leadership of a pipeline and portfolio of science, research and innovation on a national and international scale
- Evidence of strong industry and/or government engagement and strategic relationship management that grows new impact opportunities and supports positive and sustainable commercial outcomes
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
- The successful candidate will be required to undertake domestic and international travel as required
- The successful candidate will be asked to obtain and provide evidence of a National Police Check or equivalent. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically deemed ineligible. Each application will be considered on its merits.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
CSIRO's Data61 is the data and digital specialist arm of CSIRO. We are creating Australia's data-driven future.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
CSIRO has appointed Perrett Laver to assist us with this senior position and all applications should be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday 5th February 2021, 11pm AEDT
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date