CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence in Materials Science - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO - Data61 (View other jobs from this organisation)
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence in Materials Science
- Do you have an interest in machine learning and artificial intelligence?
- Use your skills to underpin the next generation of Australian science.
- Join CSIRO’s Data61, the largest data innovation group in Australia
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
In this position you will undertake research in new machine learning and artificial intelligence (ML/AI) methods with a specific emphasis on helping to solve challenges that will open new vistas of scientific knowledge and have a positive impact in fields including material science, soft robotics and additive manufacturing.
Your duties will include:
- Developing and implementing machine learning or artificial intelligence expertise as applied to both the analysis of computational generated and real-world materials data sets, as well as in the design of the computational experiments as part of a data driven science initiative to accelerate materials optimisation and other complex scientific workflows.
- Implementing these methods efficiently using programming tools such as R, Python and TensorFlow.
- Carrying out high impact research of strategic importance to CSIRO, with the aim of achieving innovative and wide-reaching scientific outcomes and ideas for further research.
- Collaborating with members of a diverse project team and external partners to ensure research directions can lead to lasting impact in application domains.
Location: Docklands, VIC
Salary: AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a Platform-relevant discipline area, such as machine learning, artificial intelligence, computer science, statistics, data analytics, applied mathematics or applied physics. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- A history of professional and respectful behaviours and attitudes in a collaborative environment.
- Solid knowledge of machine learning, artificial intelligence, and statistics, and the ability to understand and develop mathematically-founded machine learning algorithms and their development in toolkits such as TensorFlow, PyTorch or mlpack.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO’s Data61 is the data and digital specialist arm of CSIRO. We are creating Australia’s data-driven future.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
18 August 2021, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 18 Aug 2021
- VIC - Docklands
- AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: