FSP Research Scientist - Synthetic Biology of extremophiles
- An outstanding opportunity to contribute to Future Science
- Undertake innovative research designing and constructing extremophile biobricks and chassis through synthetic biology
- Join CSIRO's innovative teams in the Synthetic Biology Future Science Platform
In this Research Sientist position you will be part of a highly skilled team working on a project with the overall objective being to design and construct robust extremophile chassis and biobricks for the resources industry through synthetic biology and metabolic modelling. The project is proposed to have two complementary modules with the following focus areas:
Module 1: Designing and constructing extremophile biobricks and chassis through synthetic biology
Module 2: Metabolic modelling of extremophile synthetic biology constructs
In this role you will focus on Module 1 of the project, namely designing and constructing extremophile biobricks and chassis through synthetic biology. You will also interact with a Postdoctoral Fellow working on Module 2, as the program will be interactive and iterative in nature.
Specifically you will:
- Under the direction of senior research scientists, carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Identify suitable extremophilic host organisms which can carry out desired metabolic reactions for target process applications.
- Use cutting edge genomics, bioinformatics and systems biology tools and genomic data available in existing databases to develop a deep understanding of the genetic elements responsible for stress response (e.g. resistant enzymes/proteins, stress response pathways) which make microorganisms more robust and resistant to extreme or fluctuating growth conditions and to select resistance genes for the synthetic constructs.
- Through careful experimental design, select suitable resistance biobricks and, using synthetic biology tools, incorporate them into the chosen extremophilic host organisms to create constructs that are viable in extreme conditions and contain additional desired properties.
- Design and conduct laboratory scale experiments to verify the performance of those synthetic organisms for the target bioprocesses.
Location: Floreat, Western Australia
Salary: $92K - $100k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term until June 2020
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate and postdoctoral research experience in a relevant discipline area, such as synthetic biology, molecular biology, bioengineering or related field.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including at national and international conferences.
- A record of publications in quality, peer reviewed journals
- Strong background knowledge and demonstrated ability to design and carry out experiments, analyse and interpret data in one or more of the following areas: synthetic biology, molecular biology, bioinformatics, bioengineering or related field.
- Practical experience in one or more of the following areas: synthetic biology, molecular biology, bioengineering, genetic engineering, genomics, bioinformatics, systems biology, extremophile microbiology or related field.
- Demonstrated originality, creativity and innovation in solving conceptual and experimental problems and introducing new directions and approaches.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
Future Science Platforms: Future Science Platforms (FSPs) are critical to turn Australia’s future challenges into opportunities to invent a better future for us all. FSPs are an investment in science that underpins innovation and that has the potential to help reinvent and create new industries for Australia. FSPs will see CSIRO grow the capability of new generation of researchers and allow Australia to attract the best students and experts to work with us on future science. They are strategic investments aimed at developing capacity in areas of identified future importance for Australia. FSPs are both impact and science focused, developing innovative scientific solutions with industry, government and university partners. They support world class, coherent and creative research teams which integrate science and delivery over the long term.
Synthetic Biology FSP: Synthetic Biology (SynBio) is the design and construction of biological parts, devices, and organisms, usually based on DNA-encoded componentry; and their application for useful purposes. It is becoming widely recognised that SynBio is the next transformative technology. SynBio is an emerging interdisciplinary field representing the convergence of diverse domains, such as biotechnology, evolutionary biology, molecular biology, systems biology, physics, chemistry, computer engineering and informatics, electrical engineering, and genetic engineering, among others. SynBio involves modeling, writing, and printing DNA code for the design and fabrication of new biological parts, devices, systems, and machines, as well as the re-design of existing, natural biological systems. SynBio has potential applications in areas as diverse as manufacturing, human health, agriculture and protecting ecosystems.
How to Apply: Please upload one document only that contains a cover letter addressing the selection criteria outlined in the Position Details Document, together with your Resume/CV.
Before you apply please view the full position description and selection criteria here: Position Details Document
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, 28 May 2017