- An outstanding opportunity to work on future science
- Undertake innovative research in in applying synthetic biology to poultry
- Join CSIRO's innovative teams in the Synthetic Biology Future Science Platform
CSIRO is seeking an experience research scientist to work as part of an internationally recognised team that has developed world leading expertise and technology to apply synthetic biology to avian species in particular poultry. In this role you will develop the critical components needed to assemble constructs to direct the expression of novel bio bricks in eggs. This will lead to opportunities to develop new high value products that use the egg as a bio-reactor. The use of null-segregant technology will enable the diversion of male embryonated eggs from a controversial “waste stream” into high value products. To be successful you will have experience characterising promotors and associated regulatory elements that direct tissue specific transcription and appropriate translation e.g. secretion, to generate a suite of genetic circuitry components. Combined with the development of novel bio bricks this will be used to develop new genetic code required for generating eggs as synthetic biology reactors for novel high value products.
Specifically you will:
- Under the direction of senior research scientists, carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Develop biobricks and bio-circuitry for integration into the chicken genome and the generation of transgenic chickens for functional evaluation.
- Contribute to team goals for the generation of specific genome engineered chickens.
- Undertake regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
- Participate in regular team meetings and discussions with supervisor to set and monitor progress and milestones
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.
Location: Geelong, Victoria
Salary: $92K - 100K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term until June 2020
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate and post-doctoral experience in a relevant discipline area, such as biotechnology, molecular biology or cell biology.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including at national and international conferences.
- A record of publications in quality, peer reviewed journals.
- A track record of research in synthetic biology or genome engineering.
- Demonstrated high level skills in molecular biology techniques
- Strong knowledge in eukaryotic expression vector design and construction (such as enhancers, promoters, conditional and tissue specific expression systems)
NOTE: To be eligible for this position you must be willing and able to meet CSIRO AHHL requirements as defined in the Position Details Document.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
Future Science Platforms: Future Science Platforms (FSPs) are critical to turn Australia’s future challenges into opportunities to invent a better future for us all. FSPs are an investment in science that underpins innovation and that has the potential to help reinvent and create new industries for Australia. FSPs will see CSIRO grow the capability of new generation of researchers and allow Australia to attract the best students and experts to work with us on future science. They are strategic investments aimed at developing capacity in areas of identified future importance for Australia. FSPs are both impact and science focused, developing innovative scientific solutions with industry, government and university partners. They support world class, coherent and creative research teams which integrate science and delivery over the long term.
Synthetic Biology FSP: Synthetic Biology (SynBio) is the design and construction of biological parts, devices, and organisms, usually based on DNA-encoded componentry; and their application for useful purposes. It is becoming widely recognised that SynBio is the next transformative technology. SynBio is an emerging interdisciplinary field representing the convergence of diverse domains, such as biotechnology, evolutionary biology, molecular biology, systems biology, physics, chemistry, computer engineering and informatics, electrical engineering, and genetic engineering, among others. SynBio involves modeling, writing, and printing DNA code for the design and fabrication of new biological parts, devices, systems, and machines, as well as the re-design of existing, natural biological systems. SynBio has potential applications in areas as diverse as manufacturing, human health, agriculture and protecting ecosystems.
How to Apply: Please upload one document only that contains a cover letter addressing the selection criteria outlined in the Position Details Document, together with your Resume/CV.
Before you apply please view the full position description and selection criteria here: Position Details Document
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, 28 May 2017