CSIRO Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Scholarships
- Are you passionate about a career in science?
- Want to access CSIRO's world-class facilities and staff?
- Apply for a CSIRO Postgraduate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Scholarship now!
The CSIRO Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Scholarship program is part of the CSIRO Indigenous Engagement Strategy which seeks to significantly increase Indigenous employment nationally within CSIRO. Through this strategy, CSIRO aims to enhance the educational, employment, training and career development opportunities for people of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent.
The CSIRO Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Scholarship program is a new initiative which supports Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to undertake postgraduate study in STEM (science, technology engineering, mathematics).
The Scholarships will take the form of a top up to provide additional support to other financial support schemes, such as an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) or Centrelink study schemes. Scholarships may be awarded for study towards a PhD (3 years) or a Masters (2 years) or an equivalent degree at an Australian university. Masters students who transfer to a PhD program may be eligible for an extension of their award. Full scholarships may be available in exceptional circumstances.
Locations: Various - CSIRO has sites located all around Australia
Duration: Up to 3 years for a PhD or 2 years for a Masters
Scholarship: Top-up scholarships valued at $7,000 per year plus an operating budget of $10,000 per annum
Reference No: 31164
To be eligible to apply you must:
1. be of Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent;
2. identify as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person;
3. be accepted as such by the community in which they live or have lived;
4. be a permanent resident of Australia;
5. be enrolled at an Australian university;
6. be a recipient of one of the following:
• an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA),
• a Centrelink education scheme payment,
• a university scholarship or equivalent;
7. commence your PhD or Masters program by 30 June of the year following the year of application (i.e. if applying in 2016 you must commence by 30 June 2017). Students who have already commenced may apply for a top up scholarship if they are less than twelve months into their course at 1 January of the year following application); and
8. be undertaking a research degree in an area aligned to a business unit research program by a CSIRO business unit.
How to Apply:
To apply, please prepare ONE document which includes all of the following:
- your cover letter and CV/resume (which includes the names and contact details of two previous supervisors or academic/ professional referees);
- the name of your university and university supervisor (if known)
- your preferred CSIRO Business Unit and supervisor (if known); and
- an outline of your longer-term career aspirations and detail how this program will help you achieve them.
After preparing the above document please return to the advertisement and click on the ‘Apply Now’ button to either create a Candidate Profile or to login to your current account. Enter your personal details and then click ‘Next’ to move to the application form:
- complete the form and upload the one document you prepared as requested above in the field labelled ‘Resume and cover letter’
- upload your latest academic results in the ‘Requested Information‘ field.
- upload your confirmation of enrolment OR letter of offer from an Australian university in the ‘Additional Documents‘ field.
- upload your Confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent document in the ‘Additional Documents‘ field.
If you experience difficulties applying online call 1300 984 220 and someone will be able to assist you. Outside business hours please email: email@example.com.
CSIRO will contact you if any suitable Postgraduate Scholarship fitting your profile become available.
About CSIRO: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is Australia’s national science agency. At CSIRO we shape the future. We do this by using science to solve real issues. Our research makes a difference to industry, people and the planet. Find out more at www.csiro.au