- Make a difference to Australia in this high profile, high impact role
- Lead strategic science leadership and ensure scientific excellence in everything we do
- Join Data61 as a member of the Executive Team
Reporting to the CEO the Chief Scientist of Data61, the largest data innovation group in Australia, you will play a leading role in the development and communication of scientific vision, leadership and direction to Data61 staff of approximately 1,100 staff including more than 300 PhD students.
The Chief Scientist will be the custodian of Data61’s science and scientific infrastructure as well as managing key scientific relationships and alliances across CSIRO.
Specifically you will be responsible for:
- Impactful leadership
- Science leadership
- Engagement and partnerships
- Resource leadership
Location: Sydney (Eveleigh) preferred. Other locations considered
Salary: Attractive salary negotiable
Term: 3 years, with the potential to renew
To be successful you will have:
- A PhD in a relevant discipline with a background in computer science preferred.
- An established international eminence in the relevant science domain with evidence of world-class science leadership.
- Evidence of successful leadership of platform, discovery and impact science at the scale of the Data61 business.
- Strong engagement skills, strategic relationship management capability, and commercial/ financial skills that grows new science opportunities and supports commercial outcomes.
- Ability to attract, retain, empower and develop world-class talent and promote wellbeing.
- A track record in supporting senior leaders in optimal positioning, organisational alignment and science delivery in the national interest.
- A history in planning for science infrastructure to meet short and long term needs.
- Behaviours that are exemplary and that actively promote collaboration and consultation.
Our commitment to you
CSIRO’s Data61 offers an open and supportive workplace, where employee wellbeing is a top priority. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace by focusing on gender equality, support and development of women in leadership, increasing the employment of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders whilst supporting the LGBTI community and other diverse backgrounds.
CSIRO’s Data61 offers a range of flexible working opportunities, including part-time and job share, to provide you with work/life balance. We emphasise an individual’s growth and development which is supported by interacting and learning from world leading scientists and engineers, who provide the opportunity to challenge, transform and innovate new ideas.
CSIRO’s Data61 is committed to sourcing the brightest and best talent to become part of the Data61 family that contributes to creating Australia’s data driven future.
To apply: Please submit one document with your CV and cover letter.
Closing date: 15 January, 2018 (Australian Eastern Summer Time) Applicant Informataion Booklet