- Join us in developing the next generation of machine learning software
- Collaborate with researchers and engineers on new and innovative software products
- Join our dedicated Data Science Platforms team at Data61, Australia's digital powerhouse
Data61 has an exciting opportunity for a Data Engineer to help develop innovative solutions to real world problems. We are currently building new technologies for data integration and graph analytics with real impact for Australia. We are seeking creative people to design and build data pipelines and write elegant, usable software at scale. We can provide flexible working hours, freedom to experiment with new technologies, and the ability to grow to your full potential.
Specifically you will be responsible for:
- Designing and developing data streaming pipeline for data integration and large scale graphs.
- Building elegant, efficient and readable code.
- Creating distributed systems for data science at scale.
- Collaborating effectively with research, engineering and business teams across Data61 to ensure that project goals and Data61’s goals are achieved.
- Providing technical direction, taking ownership of projects, presenting ideas and fostering creativity in others.
Location: Negotiable (Sydney, NSW or Canberra, ACT preferred)
Salary: AU $109K - AU $128K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term 2 years and 5 months
To be successful in this position you will need:
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in a scientific or engineering discipline such as Computer Science or equivalent commercial experience in software engineering.
- Ability to build solutions to solve data engineering problems.
- Ability to think creatively, to work collaboratively and to perform tasks under minimal supervision.
- The ability to collaborate and grow with a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research and engineering team.
- Experience with two or more of the following programming languages: Python, Scala, Haskell, Rust, Go, Clojure, C, C++, Java
Experience with the following would also be beneficial:
- Experience with data storage systems and distributed databases
- Experience with distributed computing frameworks e.g. Apache Spark, Flink, Hadoop
- Interest in machine learning, graphs and data science technologies
- Interest in functional programming languages e.g. Haskell, Scala, Clojure, OCaml
- Experience mentoring junior engineers
Before applying, we encourage you to read the full position description for this role. This document can be viewed at:
Position details document
CSIRO’s Data61 business unit is the largest data innovation group in Australia, bringing together approximately 600 research and development staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 develops Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today - for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
How to Apply: To apply, please provide a CV as well as a cover letter addressing the selection criteria in brief, and upload these as one document. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
Applications Close: Applications will remain open until filled.