- Are you passionate about the social impacts of digital technologies?
- Join CSIRO's Data61 - Australia's largest data innovation group
- Contribute to ongoing social science research
CSIRO's Data61 is currently seeking a Senior Research Scientist in Digital Social Science to join the Inclusive Socio-Technical Innovation team.
The Inclusive Socio-Technical Innovation team informs the design of information systems and institutions that work for people, through being meaningful, trustworthy and useful. These systems are best understood in a socio-technical context. In addition to technical expertise, their design and implementation requires an understanding of human behaviour, values and institutions (the formal rules and organisations, and informal social constructs, within which we operate). Trustworthy data will only flow if the incentives (which may be formal and informal, drawing on money or love or something in between) are appropriate. Our research aims to understand how people respond to different rules, and how information systems do (and don't) integrate with existing economic and social institutions.
We need a digital social scientist to lead our ongoing social science research, including:
- Lifelong participation in digital technology
- The future of work and education in the digital economy
- Models for equitable and efficient data sharing
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Salary: AU $109K - AU $128K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate or equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline area, such as social science or psychology.
- Track record of applying quantitative and qualitative social science to the social impacts of digital technologies.
- Demonstrated stakeholder engagement and communication skills.
- Track record of publications, both academic and for a broader audience, relevant to digital social science.
- The ability to work effectively as a member or leader of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out independent individual research, to achieve organisational goals.
- A significant record of science innovation and creativity plus the ability to apply well developed research skills to scientific investigations.
Before applying, we encourage you to read the full position description for this role. This document can be viewed at:
Position details document
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today - for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
How to Apply: To apply, please provide a CV as well as a cover letter addressing the selection criteria in brief, and upload these as one document. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
Applications Close: Applications will remain open until 10:59pm AEST on Sunday 3rd June 2018.