- Get hands-on research experience
- Access CSIRO's word-class facilities
- Apply for an Industrial Traineeship today!
About CSIRO’s Energy Electrical Connections project:
The project maximizes efficiency of high current electrical connections used in primary metal production. The service offers considerable cost savings to energy-intensive industries such as aluminium, zinc and copper smelters. Reducing power losses is also the most cost-effective way of decreasing CO2 emissions associated with electricity use, especially in countries that are highly reliant on coal-fired electricity plants, such as Australia. Our testing facility can analyse full-scale industrial components offline, causing no interruption to production. This allows us to generate highly accurate data and insight into the way electricity flows through the components and across electrical contacts in order to redesign for maximum energy efficiency.
Find out more https://www.csiro.au/en/Do-business/Services/Materials-infrastructure/Energy-efficient-electrical-connections
The Industrial Trainee will be part of the Energy Efficient Electrical Connections Project Team, based at CSIRO Clayton, Victoria. The Industrial Trainee will work under the supervision of the Project Leader.
You will be required to:
- Participate in the design of a new experiment for carbon-metal electrical contact resistance studies, including the design and manufacture of experimental test equipment, preparation of experimental samples from industrial materials and planning for the experimental testing campaign; and
- Participate in a formal hazard study (HAZOP) for the new experiment.
Location: Melbourne (Clayton), Victoria
Tenure: Earliest start 16 July, 2018. Latest finish 19 October, 2018. Maximum 10 hrs per week (80-120 hrs total).
Job reference: 57239
To be considered you will have:
- Successfully completed at least one year of a science or engineering undergraduate degree.
- Eligibility for enrolment in the University of Melbourne's Science & Technology Internship Subjects SCIE30002 or SCIE90017.
- A solid grounding in science and engineering.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more Balance
How to Apply: Please upload one document only containing both your single page expression of interest and resume/CV. You may also be required to respond to some screening questions.
Applications Close: Thursday 28 June 2018.