- Apply your software engineering skills to cutting edge resources projects
- Two positions available
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier science and technology research organisation
CSIRO’s Minerals Resources business unit is looking to appoint two Senior Software Engineers to its Discovery Program. The Discovery Program develops software technologies that aid in characterising mineral resources and minerals exploration.
As the successful applicant, you will be working in a multi-disciplinary team of geologists and software engineers, and will play a role in the design and development of IT systems to support analytical algorithms and their integration with scientific workflows.
You will support the work being done in the program by designing and maintaining operational IT systems across the work portfolio while ensuring quality outcomes for internal operations and supporting customer demand. This is an excellent opportunity to work on innovative projects while gaining exposure to cutting-edge technology.
Please note - there are two positions available:
- 1 x indefinite/ongoing
- 1 x specified term of 12 months
Find out more by viewing the full position description and selection criteria here: Position description
Your duties/responsibilities will include:
- Incorporate novel approaches to scientific investigations by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and further research.
- Provide a key collaboration role between geoscientists and software engineers and the creation of robust operational systems from research outcomes.
- Derive and communicate effectively technical requirements with an emphasis on systems architecture and implementation.
- Play an active role in the software development and project life cycle.
- Convey research ideas and scientific requirements into a technical development plan.
- Take research code/systems and engineer into robust systems suitable for routine client use.
- Actively contribute towards strategic development.
- Routinely maintain high quality of the developed software using continuous integration, testing and deployments tools.
- Document software and algorithms and provide user training through regular meetings and workshops.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals and for presentation at national and international conferences.
Location: Kensington, WA
Salary: $95K - $103K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Role 1: Ongoing/indefinite
Role 2: Specified Term of 12 months
To be successful you will need:
- A relevant Bachelors (Hons) Degree and at least 5 years of working experience in computer science, software engineering or related discipline
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in software engineering, particularly in Java and web development technologies.
- Demonstrated track record in systems architecture/engineering.
- Excellent skills in converting research software systems into operational systems for use by external clients.
- Demonstrated ability in integrated data systems, high performance data, and advanced data analytics techniques, data management as well as the ability to solve complex problems under limited guidance and according to set objectives.
- Demonstrated experience in scientific software and algorithms development.
- Experience with software industry development practices, including planning, continuous integration, continuous testing and deployment.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out independent individual research, to achieve organisational goals.
- Demonstrated ability & willingness to contribute novel ideas and approaches in support of scientific investigations.
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more Balance
How to Apply: To apply, please provide a CV as well as a cover letter addressing the selection criteria in brief, and upload these as one document. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, Thursday, 5th July 2018