- Are you an experienced Legal Counsel looking for your next challenge?
- Can you work closely with our science leaders to help execute strategy?
- Join CSIRO's Business Development & Commercial legal team today
We are seeking to appoint an experienced Legal Counsel to be a member of Commercial Legal, a team of commercial lawyers which is fully integrated within CSIRO’s broader Business Development & Commercial (BD&C) function. Commercial Legal provides independent legal advice and support, and contributes to the execution of high qualitycommercial transactions.
This role is client-focused with the aim of building “trusted advisor” relationships with internal clients and positive and co-operative relationships with key external customers that facilitate and improve CSIRO's external engagement with our external customers and promotes CSIRO’s interests and strategic objectives.
To be successful in the role you will require clear and precise oral and written communication skills, an attention to detail with a corresponding ability to simplify complex ideas and an ability to manage competing priorities. Your progress and success in the role will be measured by your commitment to strengthening internal client and external customer relationships and practice improvement as well as your desire to participate in and maintain the strong collegiate culture of Commercial Legal.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Perform professional legal work and provide practical and pragmatic legal advice and documentation of a consistently high quality, tailored to meet the requirements and interests of internal clients and promote the strategic objectives of CSIRO.
- Draft and negotiate a broad range of commercial, M&A, funding, collaboration, IT and IP agreements.
- Assist and advise internal clients about their compliance obligations with CSIRO policies and governance arrangements.
- Show initiative and influence to build relationships with internal clients and to position Commercial Legal as a “trusted adviser”.
Location: Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney, Melbourne preferred, other locations negotiable
Salary: $109K - $128K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need:
- A degree in law from an Australian tertiary institution or a comparable overseas qualification.
- A current Australian jurisdiction practising certificate (or evidenced entitlement to hold such a practising certificate) with a minimum of 4 years post admission experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with minimal supervision in a government or commercial legal practice or as part of an in-house legal team.
- Excellent legal skills and experience in at least two of the following core areas of practice: contract law; commercial law; corporate/M&A; intellectual property; information technology; governance and or risk management.
- Clear and precise written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interest-based negotiation and persuasion skills, with the capacity to identify and influence critical stakeholders to gain support for new or different options, proposals or approaches to problem solving or solutions.
- The ability and willingness to work effectively, supportively and collegiately in a team environment, with the capacity to also work independently with minimal supervision.
To view the full position description and selection criteria for this role please click here: Position description
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Find out more here! Balance
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
How to Apply: Please apply for this position online at https://jobs.csiro.au/ and enter requisition number 57706. You will be required to upload one document only containing both your CV/Resume and cover letter, outlining your motivation and suitability for the role.
Applications Close: Tuesday 7 August 2018