- Apply your advanced synthetic organic chemistry skills to impactful research.
- Undertake novel chemical synthesis in support of the MecRx drug discovery program.
- Join a team of dedicated professionals developing innovative solutions for real-world challenges.
Biomedical Synthetic Chemistry Group of CSIRO Manufacturing is seeking to fill a Research Scientist role for 12 months. You will join an established, multi-disciplinary project team in support of an industrially focused medicinal chemistry program. The industrial partner for this project is MecRx, a Melbourne based biotech start-up who have recently secured investment from the Medical Research Commercialisation Fund to advance their drug discovery programs. You will use your synthetic organic chemistry skills to support a medicinal chemistry project based around oncogenic targets.
Your duties will include:
- Conducting innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to MecRx that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Performing novel chemical synthesis in support of the MecRx drug discovery programs and to purify and analyse the produced compounds to agreed standards.
- Developing the project lead compounds with the aim to produce new leads possessing increased efficacy, improved drug like properties and in-vitro on target activity. This will involve further chemical synthesis of the developed compounds.
Location: Clayton VIC Australia
Salary: AU$95K to AU$103K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 12 months
Job Ref.: 57853
To be successful you will need:
A doctorate or relevant experience in a relevant discipline area, such as synthetic organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry.
At least 5 years postdoctoral experience (or equivalent) in medicinal chemistry.
Experience in the performance of multi-step organic synthesis on a variety of scales from mg to multigram.
Ability in the design of novel pathways to target molecules utilising both literature searching and a comprehensive knowledge of modern synthetic chemistry techniques.
Ability in the progression of lead compounds through medicinal chemistry projects.
Competence and experience in modern analytical techniques and their application to synthetic chemistry.
Before you apply, please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position description document
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more Balance
How to apply: Please upload one document only containing your CV/Resume and cover letter ensuring you provide enough information relevant to this position to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
Applications close: Extended to 10.59pm AEDT, Sunday 5th August 2018