- Do you have (or will shortly obtain) a PhD in food technology, food engineering or chemical engineering?
- Work on a project focussing on development of grain and legume-based food products with enhanced health attributes
- Join the CSIRO Agriculture & Food team for this exciting postdoctoral fellowship
This position is for up to 24 months and will work closely with leading Research Scientists in their respective field. The postdoc will carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO with the possibility of novel and important scientific outcomes. Findings will be presented in appropriate publications and at conferences.
Grain and legume-based foods with elevated levels of total dietary fibre and protein are increasingly recognised as a means to address rapidly emerging diet related diseases such as diabetes, bowel and cardio vascular disorders. New breeding approaches have been successful to significantly enhance functional components such as high dietary fibre and protein in wheat and barley, which could play an important role in regulating intestinal microbiome and inflammation, resulting in better health and wellbeing. However, the delivery of health benefits to humans through these modified cereal grains will largely depend on how these grains are converted into food products of consumer preference.
Your duties will include:
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO, under the direction of senior research scientists that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Producing quality research in innovative cereal and legume processing.
- Undertaking regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
- Producing high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.
- Preparing appropriate conference papers and presenting those at conferences as agreed with your supervisor.
- Contributing to the development of innovative concepts and ideas for future research.
Location: Werribee, Victoria
Salary: $82k to $93k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
Ref no: 58181
To be successful you will have:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Food Technology, Food Engineering or Chemical Engineering. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including at national and international conferences.
- Sound knowledge of research design and methodology, including a demonstrated ability to design experimental plans in a mixed laboratory environment (e.g. physical tests and chemical analyses) and food processing pilot plant.
- Demonstrated research and laboratory skills such as texture analysis, cereal and protein analyses and basic knowledge of structure characterisation.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more Balance
How to Apply: Please provide enough information relevant to the selection criteria for this position to enable the assessment panel to determine your suitability, and upload one document containing your CV/resume and cover letter.
Applications Close: 10:59pm AEDT, 31 October 2018.