- 12 month position with CSIRO Manufacturing
- Support cutting-edge science with Australia’s top researchers
- Be part of the solution at CSIRO - Australian Science, Australia’s future
As a Synthetic Organic/Medicinal Chemist with CSIRO Manufacturing, you will apply organic chemistry knowledge towards the solution of problems relating to the isolation, identification, synthesis and purification of organic compounds.
The role will involve contributing to medicinal chemistry projects focussed on developing new treatments for tropical diseases.
Your duties will include
- Planning, proposing and performing chemical reactions.
- Monitoring chemical reactions using chromatographic techniques.
- Preparing and purifying compounds using chromatographic techniques.
- Using NMR and mass spectroscopy to elucidate the structure of organic compounds.
- Communicating research results through laboratory notebooks, written reports and oral presentations.
- Undertaking general laboratory maintenance.
Location: Melbourne (Clayton) VIC
Salary: AU$62k - AU$79k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 12 months
To be successful you will need
- A Bachelor of Science, preferably with Honours, in organic chemistry, or equivalent.
- Experience of synthetic organic chemistry techniques and a sound theoretical knowledge of organic chemistry.
- Experience in chromatographic separation and recrystallisation techniques.
- Experience in the use and interpretation of NMR and mass spectroscopy to elucidate the structure of organic compounds.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Applications Close Tuesday, 6th November 2018