- Are you a software engineer, with expertise in Python, Java & web development technologies?
- Convert research software systems into operational systems
- Join Australia’s leading research organisation
We are seeking an experienced Software Engineer to support The Discovery Program within our Minerals Resources Business Unit. As a Software Engineer on our team, you will design and maintain operational IT systems in conventional, HPC and Cloud environments across the work portfolio and ensure quality for internal operations and support customer demand.
You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team of geologists and software engineers and will contribute to the design and development of IT systems to support analytical algorithms and their integration with scientific workflows. This role will give you the opportunity to be involved in innovative projects and gain exposure to cutting-edge technology, and also assist in taking a concept through to operational system with a focus on lean, agile development.
Your duties will include
- Acting as a key collaborator between geoscientists and software engineers for the creation of operational systems from research outcomes.
- Deriving and effectively communicating technical requirements with an emphasis on systems architecture and implementation.
- Conveying research ideas and scientific requirements into a technical development plan.
- Taking “proof-of-concept” code/systems and engineering them into systems suitable for routine client use.
- Documenting software and algorithms and providing user training through meetings and workshops.
- Establishing sound engineering frameworks to support code development (i.e., continuous integration, build systems etc.)
Location: Perth (Kensington), WA
Salary: AU$97k - AU$105k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be successful you will need
- A relevant Bachelors Degree and at least 5 years of working experience in computer science, software engineering or related discipline, particularly in Python, Java and web development technologies.
- A track record in systems architecture/engineering.
- Excellent skills in converting proof-of-concepts into operational systems for use by internal and external clients.
- Demonstrated ability in integrated data systems and web technologies as well as the ability to solve problems under limited guidance and according to set objectives.
- Experience with software industry development practices, including planning, continuous integration, continuous testing and deployment.
Applicants with experience in web front-end development and testing frameworks, Cloud technology experience (e.g. AWS, OpenStack etc.) and web security will also be highly regarded.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description.
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
2nd January 2019