- Build and develop strong relationships with key stakeholders
- Use your expert knowledge in privacy & FOI to provide tailored legal advice
- Join the CSIRO Governance team: Australian Science, Australia’s future!
As Legal Counsel with CSIRO Governance, you will be a key member of the Enterprise Legal Team. The Enterprise Legal Team provides strategic legal advice and pragmatic support to CSIRO’s Board, Executive, Business Units and Enterprise Support Services, including in the areas of property, procurement, governance, regulatory compliance, administrative law, employment law and work health and safety. While the Legal Counsel role has a primary focus on privacy law and freedom of information (FOI), the successful candidate may be called upon to assist in other areas of the Enterprise Legal Team practice from time to time.
Your duties will include
- The provision of high-quality, pragmatic legal advice, tailored to meet the requirements and circumstances of internal clients.
- Demonstrating privacy and FOI expertise and leadership, exercising initiative and influence to build relationships with key stakeholders.
- Developing an understanding of the business, strategic objectives, external regulators, stakeholders, political context and relevant industry partners.
- Contributing to the ongoing legal education and training of internal clients and CSIRO staff.
Location: Black Mountain, ACT or Clayton, VIC preferred
(other major capital city locations may be considered)
Salary: AU $111k to AU $130k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Reference No.: 60618
To be considered you will require a degree in law from an Australian tertiary institution, or a comparable overseas qualification which is appropriate to the classification and duties of the Legal Counsel role. You will also need:
- A current Australian practising certificate or entitlement to hold an Australian practising certificate
- A minimum of approximately six (6) years of post-admission experience, in private, in-house or government legal practice, in the area of public law (including administrative law, privacy law and FOI)
- Strong technical knowledge and applied practice experience in public law, including privacy and FOI (see below ‘Position Details’ link for further info).
- High-level communication skills, a history of professional behaviours and the ability to work well in a team.
- Flexibility in thinking and excellent problem solving skills.
- The ability to foster and develop strong relationships with key stakeholders.
- A record of adherence to professional ethics and standards.
- A willingness and ability to obtain a National Police Clearance prior to commencement (if successful).
To see all the criteria required for success in this role, click on the ‘Position Details’ link below. Apply today!
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment - CSIRO
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and your motivations for applying.
Monday 18 March, 2019 (11:59pm AEDT)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.