- Do you have knowledge of Australian and International fire testing standards?
- Provide independent consulting to commercial clients.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier science and technology research organisation!
As the Consultant, Fire Assessments, you will be responsible for the provision of technical consulting services relating to the fire-resistance of building systems. In this role you will communicate directly with commercial clients in the building and infrastructure sector, providing independent consulting to assess the fire performance of tested building systems incorporating variations to the tested prototype, in accordance with the framework outlined in Part A2 of the National Construction Code (NCC).
You will report to the Team Leader, Fire Assessments and be responsible for the delivery of fire assessment reports and consulting services relating to the fire performance building systems. You will liaise and collaborate with fire testing staff as well as experts across CSIRO and other international laboratories with regard to fire testing requirements in support of the assessment of variations to tested systems. You will also assist the fire-resistance testing team during periods of peak demand or as requested by the Team Leader, Fire Resistance Testing.
Your duties will include
- Operate independently and as part of a team, using and developing engineering judgement when providing consulting services pertaining to the technical assessment of building systems under fire conditions.
- Deliver consulting services through written technical assessments on the performance of fire protection systems to comply with the Deemed to Satisfy provisions of the BCA as well as International codes.
- Deliver written performance-based assessments on the likely performance of fire protection systems to comply with the performance requirements of the BCA (NCC), based on referenced test standards, test data, engineering judgement and calculations.
- Assist the Team Leader - Fire Assessments with project delivery outcomes and timeframes within budget expectations.
Location: North Ryde, Sydney
Tenure: Specified term of 1 year
Salary: AU$82K – AU$93K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all selection criteria can be appointed.
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant Engineering or Science field related to the performance of materials under elevated temperatures, these include Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Material Science qualifications.
- Strong communication skills and writing of detailed technical reports and assessments for commercial clients
- Knowledge of the Building Code of Australia (BCA) Deemed to Satisfy provisions relating to the fire resistance of building elements and systems.
- Knowledge of Australian and International fire testing standards, assessment guidelines and related fire design standards.
- Project management experience.
- The ability to operate in commercial environments subject to change and external constraints.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish - D&I Strategy
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Tuesday 23 July 2019 at 11.59pm AEST