- Utilise Your Experience and Knowledge in Fire Testing
- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Join CSIRO - Australia's Premier Science and Technology Research Organisation
CSIRO is looking for a Reaction to Fire – Testing Officer to provide product testing services to commercial clients pertaining to the compliance of building materials to the National Construction Code (NCC). This role communicates with commercial clients at all levels of the building industry for both Australian and International companies. The role reports to the Team Leader and is responsible for specific testing operations and calibration activities within a busy and commercially focused Reaction to Fire laboratory. The role will perform Reaction to Fire tests including specimen documentation and preparation, test instrumentation and the writing of technical reports, certificates of test and certificates of assessment in accordance with the reporting requirements of Australian and international test standards.
Your duties will include
- Undertaking laboratory testing in accordance with the requirements of AS 1530.1, AS 1530.2, AS 1530.3, AS 3837, AS ISO 9239, ISO 5660 Pt 1 & 2, ISO 9705, as well as other equivalent Australian and international Reaction to Fire test standards or guidelines;
- Assisting in the sponsored fire testing at all stages from initial client contact, assisting in the determination of client requirements, providing quotations, receiving of test specimens, specimen preparation, planning and scheduling fire tests, data collection and analysis, reporting and the issuing of official test reports, certificates of test and certificates of assessment;
- As per NATA requirements, undertaking laboratory fire testing equipment in-house calibrations as specified in the calibration procedure manual, ensuring that the testing apparatus are always in calibration, and in good working order and performing troubleshooting exercises on minor equipment issues whist adhering to CSIRO HSE practises.
- Contributing to the Division’s Passive Fire Testing Product Listing Scheme (Fire Pass) by ensuring test reports and test certificates are accurate and valid and contribute to the efficient operation of the scheme’s product listing website.
- Where required, contributing to the CSIRO Infrastructure Technologies group by providing technical support to a diverse range of research projects across CSIRO, and CSIRO’s research and industry partners.
Location: North Ryde (Sydney)
Salary: AU$63k - AU$80k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Structural, Mechanical or Civil Engineering and/or Fire Engineering or a Science field related to the performance of materials under elevated temperatures, fire thermodynamics and heat transfer.
- Minimum of one to two years’ experience in a related field.
- Knowledge of building construction systems and products as well as an aptitude for manual work in a building construction environment whilst maintaining a scientific approach.
- Ability to produce technical reports in accordance with test standard requirements.
- Strong communications skills (verbal and written).
- Experience working in a highly collaborative environment.
- Sound computing skills and knowledge relating to data acquisition equipment, equipment calibrations, laboratory records and documentation.
- Knowledge of HSE requirements pertaining to a fire testing laboratory environment.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
23:00 AEDT Tuesday 12th November 2019