- Combine relaxed, ocean-side lifestyle with a leading-edge technology job.
- Work in a flexible, family friendly environment.
- Competitive package including relocation and rental assistance.
Geraldton is known for its turquoise waters and white sandy beaches. It is the perfect blend of beachside living and cosmopolitan lifestyle. Especially with a beautiful Mediterranean climate where winter averages are around 20C. Get ready for not being stuck in traffic, brilliant coffee and fast NBN.
CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science have a requirement for a highly motivated and appropriately skilled Professional Engineer to lead a team of three technical staff. The primary purpose is to provide support for the radio frequency and digital electronic systems which form part of the Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder (ASKAP) radio telescope. The team’s efforts will ensure a high level of reliability of ASKAP and other operational systems at the Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory (MRO) and MRO Support Facility (MSF).
Please note: Frequent travel to the Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory (approx. 350km northeast of Geraldton) will be required. Visits will be typically five days in duration and require overnight stays at the Boolardy accommodation facility.
Your duties will include
- Provide professional engineering support for ASKAP electronic systems both radio frequency and digital processing hardware.
- Support the full range of MRO electronic systems.
- Under the guidance of the Site Leader MSF/MRO, supervise a small technical team performing engineering commissioning and maintenance work on the electronic systems that comprise and support the ASKAP Telescope. This will include:
- Technical leadership of the team,
- Identifying critical issues,
- Contributing to the resolution of routine and complex telescope operational problems,
- Scheduling, budgeting and planning maintenance activities for electronic systems on the ASKAP array at the MRO and support systems at the MSF.
- Ensure the availability of ASKAP electronic spares and consumables to minimise telescope downtime and other operational disruptions.
Location: Geraldton, Western Australia
Salary: Competitive package
Tenure: Term or Indefinite options available
To be successful you will need
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential selection criteria can be appointed.
- An Engineers Australia-accredited four year electronic/electrical engineering qualification and work experience at the level of Professional Engineer.
- The ability and willingness to hold an Austrian Driver’s Licence.
- Demonstrated understanding and practical skills in analogue and digital electronics systems relevant to radio astronomical operations, with a specialisation in either low noise Radio Frequency electronics, or high speed digital processing electronics including both hardware and firmware for systems built around Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) technology.
- Self-motivated, with demonstrated ability to apply professional engineering judgement in the course of commissioning, maintaining, designing and upgrading instrument electronics from systems level to ‘hands-on’ board level, with an aptitude for identifying the source of system deficiencies and applying innovative solutions to technical, logistics and team challenges whilst working in a remote area for extended periods.
- The ability and willingness to lead a small technical team consisting of staff with various backgrounds and skill levels with a demonstrated ability to communicate technical information including interpret and prepare circuit diagrams, technical specifications, drawings and reports.
- The ability and willingness to travel to other CASS sites and to work at heights.
The successful applicant may be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
For more information please view the Position Description.
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. D&I Strategy
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexible at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Friday, 21st February, 2020 at 11:59 AEST