- Are you an entrepreneurial and collaborative science leader in food science and technology?
- Lead the Food Program to develop and deliver healthy, safe and sustainable foods for Australia and global consumers
- Join CSIRO Agriculture and Food as an integral member of the leadership team.
CSIRO Agriculture and Food is Australia’s most significant science investment for its key primary production activities including cropping, meat and livestock, aquaculture, horticulture, food safety and processing, and value-adding. These industries underpin >$40B of food and fibre production, $97B of domestic food and beverage processing, and >$30B of agricultural exports per annum in Australia while providing stewardship for at least 60 per cent of the Australian landscape.
The Food Program delivers science that underpins the development and delivery of healthy, safe and sustainable foods, food ingredients and beverages for Australia’s food industry and global consumers.
As the Research Director, you will lead and set the vision and strategy for the Food Research Program and are responsible for leading a portfolio of multi-disciplinary, collaborative research projects that deliver on the goals of the Agriculture and Food Business Unit.
Your duties will include:
Impact Science Leadership:
- In consultation with research partners and research users, lead the strategic science and delivery to address national challenges and build capacity to innovate for science discovery;
- Identify new opportunities and markets in Australia and overseas, and engage key stakeholders and clients to build support for investment in opportunities
- Communicate the Program vision to inspire staff and sustain and nurture awareness of Agriculture and Food’s science quality and impact in the broader Australian community;
- Build the long?term science capability to support the delivery of the Program’s research and impact, including forecasting demand, monitoring science trends and stakeholder needs, and building a high-performance culture
Engagement & Partnership
- In consultation with research partners and end users, develop a roadmap for a deeper and more effective national partnership across industry environment issues;
- Build strategic relationships within the organisation to execute CSIRO’s strategy and Agriculture and Food’s strategy, including fostering mobility and cross?Business Unit deployment of staff, and developing productive relationships
- Lead and manage the Program’s financial resources, people, infrastructure and other assets to ensure their effective, sustainable and efficient use;
- Ensure best practice governance and management of commercial activities and intellectual property in the Program.
Location: Werribee, Victoria
Salary: An attractive remuneration package will be offered including up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be successful you will need
- A doctorate and/or equivalent research and/or industry experience in food science and technology or a closely related field.
- Evidence of an ability to strategically develop programs and opportunities that respond to national and global research challenges, drawing from knowledge in:
- Food and beverage innovations for health
- Food trust including traceability, provenance and safety
- Food manufacturing and sustainability
- Evidence of successful development and leadership of a pipeline and portfolio of science, research and innovation on a national and international scale.
- Evidence of strong industry and/or government engagement and strategic relationship management that grows new impact opportunities and supports positive and sustainable commercial outcomes.
- Proven ability to work effectively as an integral member and leader of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and foster an environment in which there is a high level of co-operation within and between teams.
- To be eligible for this position you must be willing and able to undertake significant domestic and international travel.
- The successful candidate will be asked to consent to National police check. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically deemed ineligible. Each application will be considered on its merits.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. D&I
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Wednesday 1 April 2020
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date