Analytical Chemist - [Archived Advertisement]
- Undertake routine analyses of food, food ingredients & biological samples
- Use your skills to support research into the impact of foods, extracts & nutrients on human health
- Join CSIRO Health and Biosecurity and make a difference!
The Analytical Platform within CSIRO’s Nutrition and Health Program in the Health and Biosecurity Business Unit supports research into how foods, extracts and nutrients impact human health to deliver impact through product innovation and substantiation for the agri-food, nutraceutical and health and wellness sectors.
We are seeking an experienced analytical chemist to join the team and provide technical and scientific support in an analytical laboratory. The lab specialises in food chemistry and analysis of metabolites in human blood and faecal samples and a range of biological samples obtained from experimental animals.
As the successful candidate in this diverse role, you will undertake sample analysis on a range of analytical instruments, including GC, LC, HPLC, GC-MS and LCMS, and be able to carry out routine maintenance of these pieces of equipment. Your experience in designing, optimising and validating new analytical methods, preparing clear and accurate standard operating procedures coupled with your ability to work independently to troubleshoot issues and train and supporting less experienced staff will be critical to your success in this role.
Your duties will include:
- Undertaking routine analyses of food and food ingredients and biological samples which include but are not limited to blood, faeces and urine from human and animal trials as part of the analytical team.
- Carrying out experiments to assess biochemical/chemical analytes on human and animal biological samples, foodstuffs and/or ingredients on a range of analytical instruments (such as GC, GC-MS, LC-MS/MS, HPLC) using established methods to a high degree of precision and accuracy.
- Designing, optimising and validating analytical methods for new biochemical analytes.
- Undertaking maintenance of all instrumentation in the lab and identifying and correcting instrumentation faults.
- Overseeing the activities of less experienced staff, including work experience and industry placement students, and providing guidance on experimental/ technological techniques and protocols.
Location: Kintore Avenue, Adelaide SA
Salary: AU$83k - AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant honours degree or at least approximately 5 years' experience in analytical chemistry.
- Demonstrated competency and experience in the chemical analysis of nutrients and bioactives in food and food components and metabolites in human and animal biological samples (faeces, blood and/or urine), including the use of GC, HPLC, LC-MS.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot issues in experimental protocols and undertake routine maintenance of analytical equipment.
- Demonstrated experience in the development, optimisation and validation of new methods associated with the analysis of foods, food components, human and animal biological samples.
- Demonstrated understanding of chemical safety and familiarity with good laboratory practice.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders such as research teams, institutions and industry colleagues/clients.
- Good communication and time management skills with the ability to prioritise work, co-ordinate with others and follow strict timelines to meet client deadlines.
- To be vaccinated against Hep A, Hep B and tetanus or be willing to obtain them.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain or provide evidence that they hold a working with children check prior to confirmation of appointment.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
24 March 2021, 11:00 pm AEDT
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 24 Mar 2021
- SA - Adelaide
- AU$83k - AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time