Research Scientist - Regional Climate Model Developer - [Archived Advertisement]
Research Scientist - Regional Climate Model Developer
- Use your skills to develop, maintain & evaluate the CCAM regional climate model
- Improve the representation of changes in Australian climate & extreme weather
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s premier scientific research organisation
CSIRO's Ocean and Atmosphere Business Unit is seeking a motivated Research Scientist – Regional Climate Model Developer to join the CSIRO Climate Science Centre.
The Conformal Cubic Atmospheric Model (CCAM) is a variable resolution global climate model developed in Australia for applied climate and weather applications. As the successful candidate, you will contribute to the development, maintenance, and evaluation of the CCAM regional climate model used to make climate change projections for Australia. You will help progress CCAM’s independent set of scale-aware atmospheric physics parameterisations, to ensure that they are consistent with best practice for modelling changes in regional climate and extreme weather. The regional climate change projections produced from CCAM simulations will be part of a multi-model ensemble delivering to the Australian Climate Service (ACS), as well as delivering to international intercomparison experiments such as the Coordinated Regional Climate Downscaling Experiment.
In this role, you will develop code and write publications about CCAM and its performance, as well as providing specialised products for the ACS. To be successful, you will need a background in modelling atmospheric physical processes (or related experience developing climate models), programming skills in Fortran and Python.
Your duties will include:
- Developing CCAM atmospheric physics parameterisations for improving the representation of changes in Australian climate and extreme weather over multi-decadal timescales.
- Under limited direction, assisting in the planning and preparation of CCAM experiments and carry out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity, and innovation.
- Developing CCAM experiment design for ensembles of national regional climate simulations consistent with international best practice.
- Programming CCAM source code in Fortran and Python for use on National Computing Infrastructure, Pawsey Supercomputing Centre and CSIRO High Performance Computing facilities.
- Helping with the management of large datasets in NetCDF format, following Climate Model Intercomparison Project conventions.
- Presenting CCAM results in a meaningful format, prepare reports for clients and/or write scientific papers for publication.
Location: Hobart Tas, Melbourne (Aspendale) Vic or Canberra ACT
Salary: AU$102k - AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years commencing no earlier than March 2022
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as Climate science, Earth sciences, Physics or Mathematics.
- Experience developing atmospheric models, land-surface models or related physical process modelling for climate and weather simulations.
- Programming experience with Fortran and Python.
- A history of working effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed project team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- The ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to prepare and deliver conference presentations.
- A publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To considered for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa (sponsorship may be provided to eligible candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
7 November 2021, 11:00 pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 07 Nov 2021
- AU$102k - AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Carbon Trading/Climate Change