Data Engineer - [Archived Advertisement]
- Do you want to apply your data skills to be part of science and research at CSIRO
- Are you passionate about open-source software and open data?
- Would you like to work on international collaborations?
The Atlas of Living Australia (ALA) is Australia’s national biodiversity data aggregator funded under the National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS) and hosted by CSIRO. The ALA is the Australian node of the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF). Our digital infrastructure is developed in-house to support research activities, government decision-making and community events
The ALA Data Management team is seeking a data engineer for a two-year contract opportunity to work on data acquisition, transformation, loading and quality assurance. Our team is technically oriented and uses multiple technologies and platforms to explore and manipulate large datasets into a standardised format, which we then ingest into our processing pipeline.
Your duties will include:
As the successful candidate you will develop new and support existing automated jobs to harvest data from a series of data providers, ensuring data currency and quality is consistent with expectations. You will need to be effective both as a team member and as a reliable point of contact for data providers. We’re looking for strong collaboration and communication skills, and the ability to develop great rapport with stakeholders.
- Work to the Data Manager in the Data Management team to build and manage both automated and manual data loading processes
- Map datasets to the Darwin Core standard
- Implement, deploy, schedule, and maintain data load processes
- Implement quality assurance and verification on datasets to ensure loaded records meet expectation
- Engage professionally with external stakeholders offering technical guidance on data management issues such as data mapping, automation, and loading
- Contribute to team meetings and planning and review activities
Location: Canberra, Melbourne preferred.
Salary: AU$102,724 to AU$111,165 pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
To be considered you will need:
- 2+ years demonstrated operations experience in a data driven production system
- Strong ETL skills with large datasets with a focus on efficiency and scale
- Experience with Linux OS
- Experience with a variety of open source relational and non-relational databases
- Experience in both delivering and consuming REST services
- Source code management using git, svn or Bitbucket
- Knowledge of SOLR and/or Elasticsearch administration and queries
- Effective stakeholder engagement and technical liaison skills
- Background or strong interest in biodiversity/ecology/taxonomy
- Enthusiasm and knowledge of open data standards, procedures and policy
- Experience with Apache Beam/Spark/AVRO, Jenkins, ELK, Zabbix, Ansible
- Experience with geospatial data systems and development
- Experience with Darwin Core standard
CSIRO is an Equal Opportunity employer working hard to recruit world-class talent that represents the diversity across our society
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
7th November 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 07 Nov 2021
- AU$102,724 to AU$111,165 pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time