Technical Assistant (Digital Curator)
Technical Assistant (Digital Curator)
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, in the areas where we live and work across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
- Help maintain vital resources for the conservation of Australia’s animal and plant species
- Develop sustainable land and marine management systems
- Join CSIRO and work at the cutting edge of digitisation, informatics and biodiversity research
CSIRO is the custodian of extensive collections of animal and plant specimens that contribute to national and international biological knowledge, and underpin a significant part of the country’s taxonomic, genetic, agricultural, and ecological research.
As a Technical Assistant (Digital Curator) with the National Research Collections of Australia (NRCA), you will support the digitisation of over 15 Million specimens held at CSIRO. You will prepare specimens for digitisation, drawing on your deep understanding of nomenclature, imaging and post-processing, databasing, and advancing the care of specimens through digital curation. As part of a team at the cutting edge of digitisation, informatics and biodiversity research, you will have the opportunity to work closely with digitisation staff, curators and collections management staff across the NRCA collections.
Your duties will include:
- Transferring and interpreting information from online catalogues of taxonomic and biological information into electronic format.
- Working within biological collections, undertaking basic taxonomy curation and specimen handling.
- Curating specimens as necessary for collection digitisation and databasing initiatives.
- Creating digital specimen images and assisting in the organisation of long-term image management.
Location: Black Mountain (Canberra) ACT
Salary: AU$66k - AU$84k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant certificate or equivalent experience working with collections.
- Experience documenting, cataloguing, handling and curating biological collection specimens.
- Experience using digital equipment, programs, and software to create digital images of specimens.
- The ability and willingness to carry out tasks requiring accuracy and close attention to detail.
- Strong organisational skills, including a proven ability to effectively manage change, prioritise competing demands and escalate issues when required.
- The ability to work effectively in a team, positively contributing to the team environment.
- The ability to think creatively, adopt novel ideas and approaches and exercise initiative when managing routine problems and opportunities.
For full details about this role please view the Position Details
Applications are open to Australian or New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Monday 13 December, 2021 (11pm AEDT)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 13 Dec 2021
- ACT - Black Mountain
- AU$66k - AU$84k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time