Drug Discovery Lead
Drug Discovery Lead
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Have you led a team in small molecule drug discovery programs?
- Engage with industry partners & help them achieve their R&D goals
- Flexible work arrangements - achieve the right balance for you!
CSIRO’s Manufacturing Business Unit brings together multi-disciplinary scientific and engineering capabilities using world-class infrastructure to partner with industry in order to develop innovative products and processes to allow Australian manufacturers to be globally competitive and environmentally sustainable. The Biomedical Manufacturing Research Program works with biomedical companies to deliver new medical treatments and technologies that benefit millions of people in Australia and overseas, helping them live longer, healthier, and more productive lives.
We are seeking an experienced Drug Discovery Lead to join the Biomedical Manufacturing program. Using your extensive expertise, knowledge, and experience in drug discovery research, you will engage with industry partners to develop and execute research proposals to assist their R&D goals. In addition, you will be responsible for leading multi-disciplinary projects across multiple teams to deliver on research outcomes.
As the successful candidate, you will work closely with key internal and external stakeholders to build new capabilities in Drug Discovery research that are aligned with our Business Unit Strategies to enable more efficient and integrated research outputs that translate into industry and commercial impact.
Your duties will include:
- Providing advice and participating in strategic planning and implementation of strategies to guide the Program towards a successful drug discovery pipeline with industry.
- Overseeing and/or collaborating with scientists within the Program to develop streamlined screening/testing pipelines for Drug Discovery projects with industry partners.
- Assisting with building new capabilities in Drug Discovery research to enable more efficient and integrated research outputs in the Program for our industry partners.
- Leading and supervising staff to ensure experiments are established in accordance with the research design and are completed within the agree timeframes and budget.
Location: Melbourne (Clayton) VIC
Salary: *CSOF7 AU$141k – AU$157k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
*CSOF8 AU$169k – AU$212k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
*NB: This position is offered across two levels, the appointment level will be determined by the qualifications, skills and relevant experience of the successful candidate.
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry or Pharmacology.
- A track record of leading a research team in small molecule drug discovery programs.
- Demonstrated experience in hit discovery process, target validation, assay development/screening both in vitro and/or in vivo.
- Demonstrated industry-focused experience and a history of commercialisation of drug discovery research.
- A sound history/record of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents.
- Excellent communication skills with a demonstrated track record of obtaining stakeholder support for research proposals.
For appointment at the higher salary level (CSOF8), as well as satisfying the criteria listed above, you must also have:
- Internationally recognised leading expertise in drug discovery research.
- The proven ability to lead large, multi-disciplinary research teams in drug discovery.
- A history of translating drug discovery research into industry impact or commercial success.
- A track record in leveraging funding from a variety of sources and establishing research projects/networks that span organisations nationally or internationally.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents Only
Appointment to this role is subject to the provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
6 February 2022, 11:00 pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 06 Feb 2022
- VIC - Clayton
- *CSOF7 AU$141k – AU$157k *CSOF8 AU$169k – AU$212k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time