Research Scientist in Plant Gene Editing - [Archived Advertisement]
Research Scientist in Plant Gene Editing
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Use your expertise in plant gene editing, bioinformatics & molecular genetics
- Be part of a team delivering improved crop varieties to Australian Agribusiness
- Join CSIRO Agriculture and Food and make a difference!
CSIRO’s Agriculture and Food Business Unit (BU) is seeking a motivated Research Scientist to join the Plant Gene Editing team within the Future Breeding group of the Crops Program. This BU is the innovation catalyst for transforming profitability and sustainability in Australia's food and fibre industries and a science leader impacting the globe's agri-food security.
As the successful candidate, you will join a multidisciplinary team exploring the use of and improving the efficiency of gene editing in major crops. By applying your knowledge in gene editing as well as bioinformatics and molecular genetics, you will deliver improved crop varieties to Australian Agribusiness.
Your duties will include:
- Designing and conducting experiments in gene editing of plants, including the use of bioinformatic tools for target design, plant vector construction and genetic analysis of edited plants.
- Collaborating with others to improve the efficiency of gene editing using new tools, plant transformation and gene delivery methods.
- Presenting results in a meaningful format, preparing reports for clients and/or writing scientific papers for publication.
- Under the supervision of more senior researchers, assisting in the planning and preparation of research proposals and carrying out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
Location: Canberra (Black Mountain) ACT
Salary: AU$102k - AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as Plant Molecular Biology.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in gene editing of plants.
- Expertise in bioinformatics, molecular genetics and detailed characterisation of gene edited plants.
- Excellent communication skills coupled with a sound history/record of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or inventorship on patents applications.
- To be able to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- A history of working effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary project team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to all candidates. Visa sponsorship will be provided if required.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
20 February 2022, 11:00 pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 20 Feb 2022
- AU$102k - AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time