Science Leader in Quantum Biotechnology
Science Leader in Quantum Biotechnology
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Grow your own team and research program to deliver impact in Quantum Biotechnology through the development of new technologies and platforms
- Develop a program focus based on your expertise in quantum sensing, quantum imaging, quantum materials, or quantum proteomics or a combination of emerging cross-disciplinary areas that address the overall theme of quantum biotechnology
- Join CSIRO and translate science to industry impact as part of a global research business
At CSIRO, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology by harnessing the incredible intellectual power and expertise of our people, collaborators and partners. CSIRO’s Science Leader program attracts the best researchers from across the globe to deliver outstanding translational science and engineering impact and captures new capability into areas which have been identified as strategic, to assist our business units to manage and develop their capability for the future.
CSIRO’s Future Science & Technology plan (FS&T) was launched early 2021 and is a 10-year plan for CSIRO to deliver on our purpose to solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. This plan identified Quantum Biology (& Biotechnology) as one of five Emerging Horizons to develop capability in toward 2031.
Quantum Biotechnology operates across the boundaries of science disciplines and engaging a leader that can span these boundaries within CSIRO and positioning them within the existing and expected activity/collaborations at University of Queensland, will help the nation to take advantage of the opportunities provided by this emerging science and technology discipline.
As the Science Leader you will help build cutting edge new capability which you will define based on your expertise and within the broader scheme of Quantum Biotechnology, namely: quantum sensing, quantum imaging, quantum materials, quantum proteomics or a combination of emerging cross-disciplinary areas. You will work closely with the Quantum Technologies Future Science Platform, broader Business Units across CSIRO, and play a key role in driving collaborations with emerging global programs in quantum biotechnology. You will build and maintain networks, leading strategy and vision for quantum biotechnology at CSIRO, provide scientific leadership, and pursue new ideas and approaches to create new concepts.
The Science Leader will contribute to business goals through scientific excellence and the translation of research outcomes into impact. They will have generous operating funds, and support for two three-year Postdoctoral Fellowships and two three-year Postgraduate Students top-up scholarships.
Your duties will include:
- Develop a vision and 5 year plan for Quantum Biotechnology that is aligned with CSIRO’s and the Quantum Technology Future Science Platform’s strategies.
- Grow a team of post-doctoral researchers and students focused on quantum biotechnology research.
- Take a leadership role in the collaboration with the University of Queensland and the broader Quantum Biotechnology network that is being shaped right now.
- Identify and develop collaborations within CSIRO to maximise benefits of existing capability and expertise in Quantum Biotechnology.
- Communicate research results to the CSIRO and global scientific community through oral and written reports.
- Lead and supervise staff to ensure that experiments are established in accordance with the research design and are completed within the agreed timeframes and budget.
Location: Brisbane, Qld or Sydney, NSW or Melbourne, Victoria preferred
Salary: Attractive salary package offered
Tenure: Indefinite, with the initial program of work being 5 years
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant PhD (or equivalent) and be recognised by their peers as making a significant contribution in their field of science or engineering and as an aspiring leader in the community;
- A significant record of science innovation and creativity plus the ability to apply well developed research skills to scientific investigations, specifically in quantum technologies and application areas in biology and biotechnology (quantum biotechnology)
- Can demonstrate the ability to collaborate at the intersection of disciplines;
- Ability to bring an extensive network which they will actively share across the whole organisation, engaging and satisfying multiple stakeholders; and
- Ability to mentor a team of talented postdoctoral fellows and postgraduate students and attract distinguished visiting researchers.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens and international candidates. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
28 August 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 28 Aug 2022
- Attractive salary package offered
- Work Type:
- Full Time