$106,988 + 9.5% Superannuation
Temporary to 31 December 2018
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Team.
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
As the Senior Sustainability Officer, you will be responsible for developing and delivering services that reduce energy use and decarbonise the energy supply in the city. You will be responsible for:
- Leading City of Melbourne’s renewable energy agenda including facilitating the development of a power purchase agreement with high energy users in the municipality
- Research the key barriers and drivers to lower carbon emissions in the city
- Identify high impact policy changes, market based solutions and community engagement approaches to overcoming barriers to lowering emissions
- Design services and lead key sustainability programs towards zero net emissions for the municipality
- Lead advocacy for changes to State and Federal policy which will reduce carbon emissions.
You will develop partnerships with key stakeholders and key partner organisations to build and maintain networks that support the effective delivery of programs towards the Council’s goal of zero net emissions. As well as working with other teams across the branch and organisation to embed sustainability principles in precinct planning, and advocating for changes to building codes and planning regulations that support a low carbon future for the city of Melbourne.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the renewable energy market including technologies, and State, Federal and International policy and regulation
- Appropriate tertiary qualification in environment, sustainability, public policy, or business related field, or equivalent level of experience
- High level written and oral communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills
- Innovative and creative approaches to problem solving
- Proven ability to build and maintain productive networks, engaging with community and business stakeholders and providing high quality customer service
- High level project management capability including demonstrated experience in leading projects with the ability to deliver projects on time and on budget, and to balance and respond to competing priorities
- Proven capability to contribute to skill development of team members by providing coaching, mentoring and support.
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter, responding to the selection criteria (no more than two pages), as listed above under ‘You can bring…’
Please address your covering letter to Vicky Barmby, (Acting) Team Leader Low Carbon Future
The position description for this role will not be provided at this stage of application.
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.