Director, Executive Level 2, National Construction Code Projects & Analysis - [Archived Advertisement]
Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources (View other jobs from this organisation)
Director, Executive Level 2, National Construction Code Projects & Analysis
About the team
The Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) is a Council of Australian Governments (COAG) standards writing body that is responsible for the development of the National Construction Code (NCC), comprising the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and the Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA). The ABCB is a joint initiative of all three levels of government in Australia.
The NCC Projects & Analysis team is responsible for the initial research and analysis that underpins possible changes to the BCA to aid efficiency in the design, construction and performance of buildings through the NCC. The primary role of this position involves the technical development of the BCA and managing the delivery of allocated projects for the team in accordance with the ABCB’s work program. Current projects that relate to this position include:
- Research and development of provisions for increased building resilience to extreme weather events
- Quantify and strategically review the NCC’s performance requirements, including structural reliability
- Façade design and construction methods that limit the spread of fire
- Development of possible amendments to the NCC bushfire provisions for public buildings and vulnerable occupants
- Input to weatherproofing and waterproofing provisions associated with external wall systems
What you will do
As the Director you will:
- Undertake technical research and analysis
- Produce and edit technical papers and reports, and respond to technical enquires
- Manage project working groups and consultancies for highly specialised subjects
- Engage with the ABCB’s national technical advisory committees, as well as other relevant government and industry stakeholders
- Manage the development of BCA technical provisions and supporting documents, including the assessment of relevant Proposals for Change
- Participate on relevant Australian Standards committees, and
- Provide leadership, guidance and advice to your team and colleagues.
Our ideal candidate
Ideal candidates will have tertiary qualifications in structural engineering or a related engineering discipline. Candidates must be able to demonstrate their good project management and research and analysis skills, as well as the ability to communicate technical matters verbally and in writing.
The position is ideal for someone interested in working on a national basis with governments and industry to help shape the future of building standards in the construction industry in Australia.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
This position requires a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
Tertiary qualifications in structural engineering or a related engineering discipline are highly desirable.
The position is full-time and based in Canberra, although remote working arrangements can be considered.
Salary for the position is commensurate with experience.
- Closing Date:
- 31 Jan 2021
- ACT - Canberra
- Work Type:
- Full Time
- APS Classification:
- Executive Level 2