- Work closely with software engineers, researchers and industry collaborators
- Build internetworked 3D spatial data management platforms for mining and mineral industries
- Produce innovative software for commercial, industrial and research customers
CSIRO has recently commenced a joint venture which brings together the capabilities of CSIRO and CRC Mining to establish the world’s largest metalliferous mining Research and Development entity – Mining3.
The role of the Spatial Internet Systems Software Engineer in Mining3, is to work closely with software engineers, researchers and industry collaborators to build internetworked 3D spatial data management platforms for the mining and mineral processing industry.
The role is to produce innovative software for commercial, industrial and research customers. In this role, you will lead the technical design of the system in collaboration with the lead designer and lead researchers. You will apply database, machine learning and cloud technologies to create a distributed volumetric data management and analytics platform. The data involved includes exploration drill data, mine architecture, mine block models, assay data, material provenance, mine operations and mill process information. You will also aid in the development and implementation of mining and mineral processing value chain models as part of the system.
A strong, demonstrated understanding of current technical best practice in developing complex, spatial data-intensive, distributed applications is essential for this role.
Your duties will include:
- Developing software and systems building on Mining3’s research in areas such as mine design, mineral analysis, optimisation and automation.
- Leading software and system architectural design activities.
- Following and implementing recognised software engineering best practices including documentation, test-driven development and automation for ensuring software quality, performance, accessibility, maintainability and reusability.
- Working collaboratively with project team members and others across Mining3 and CSIRO to ensure that project goals and Mining3 goals are achieved.
- Contributing to Mining3’s engineering discipline by improving the use of software development tools, practices and culture.
Location: Pullenvale, Brisbane, Queensland
Salary: $95k to $103k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified period of 2 years
Ref no: 57411
To be successful you will have:
- A Bachelor degree in a scientific or engineering discipline such as Computer Science or Software Engineering and at least 5 years of working experience in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated expertise in cloud-based client-server software architecture, design and implementation, delivering robust and maintainable code to solve business problems.
- Demonstrated experience with varied programming languages and paradigms, such as procedural (e.g. C/C++/C#, Java, Python), object-oriented, functional, static/dynamic typing, declarative (e.g. Prolog, knowledge representation languages).
- Demonstrated work experience with postgresql, postgis, sfcgal, 3D models and large datasets such as terrain models, lidar and point clouds.
- Demonstrated experience with contemporary software development tools and practises: version control, unit testing, automated testing, issue tracking.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and adaptably as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed team, and carry out tasks autonomously in support of scientific research.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more Balance
How to Apply: Please provide enough information relevant to the selection criteria for this position to enable the assessment panel to determine your suitability, and upload one document containing your CV/resume and cover letter.
This position will remain open until filled.