- Join CSIRO’s dynamic Agriculture & Food team
- Provide leadership in the area of bio-economic integrated assessment and modelling of farming and food systems.
- Use your statistical analysis and modelling skills to help shape the future.
Research Scientist Staff in CSIRO is to conduct innovative research leading to scientific achievements that are aligned with CSIRO’s strategies.
We are currently seeking a motivated Agriculture Systems Modeller to provide leadership in the area of bio-economic integrated assessment of farming and food systems, including the development and application of sophisticated statistical and mathematical programming methods for prioritising technology and policy actions in agricultural systems. This post will also coordinate the development of tools and software, in line with the activities of other CSIRO programmes and initiatives.
Your duties will include:
- Coordinate with existing modelling expertise across CSIRO Agriculture and Food and elsewhere as part of a multi-disciplinary research team working on the economics, productivity and sustainability of farming systems in Australia and the developing world.
- Contribute to the development of the field of agricultural systems analysis, and the integrated economic and biophysical assessment of food systems and the environment across CSIRO.
- Work with a range of national and external partners in the assessment and quantification of the economic, production and natural resource impacts of different technologies and policies on agricultural systems at different scales (from the farm to the global level).
- Contribute and coordinate the development of suitable household –level bio-economic models to study niches for specific technologies and for assessing their impacts on incomes, productivity, food security, greenhouse gas emissions, and other environmental dimensions, and potential trade-offs arising from their adoption.
- Incorporate novel approaches to scientific investigations by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and further research.
- Write high quality research papers and reports and communicate research findings in different formats
Location: St. Lucia, QLD
Salary: AU$92,591 to AU$100,199 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Ref no: 57564
To be considered you will have:
- A doctorate and or equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline area, such as agricultural systems, agronomy, environmental sciences, statistics or agricultural economics
- Significant knowledge of agricultural systems in both the developed and the developing world.
- Solid bio-economic modelling skills at different levels: from crops and livestock to the farm household and regional levels with at least some of the following skills:
- Production frontier and other econometric modelling skills.
- Simulation modelling of crops, livestock and agricultural systems dynamics.
- Statistical economic modelling of technology adoption among farm households
- Mathematical programming skills: linear programming and variants, others
- Development of methods for understanding the impacts of technology upscaling to the regional level
- Modelling of climatic and other risks in farming systems
- Land use and bio-economic regional modelling
- Experience in using economic, bio-economic models, or spatial analysis for policy scenario development and ex-ante impact assessment.
- Significant experience writing scientific code in R, Python or equivalent languages, and experience handling large datasets.
- Ability to work effectively and independently as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out independent individual research, to achieve organisational goals.
- Demonstrated excellence in research and a record of science innovation and creativity plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more Balance
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Description
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
CSIRO Agriculture & Food carries out research and development for new agricultural technologies, value added foods, crop and livestock improvement, aquaculture, farming systems, sustainability and advancement of international agriculture.
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
How to Apply: To apply for this position please include with your CV/Resume and cover letter addressing the essential criteria, and any other information that is relevant to the position. Please upload these as one document.
Applications Close: 19 July, 2018