- Do you have an interest in Datasets?
- Research advanced statistical and machine learning methodologies
- Join CSIRO's Data61 - Australia's largest data innovation group
CSIRO’s Data61 is seeking to appoint a research scientist in their Data-Driven Enterprises group within their Analytics Program.
As the successful candidate you will contribute to the Group’s goals by undertaking research into advanced statistical and machine learning methodologies to enhance the Group’s and Data61’s capabilities in these domains. In this role you will liaise and work with industry and government to help improve their processing of large, complex datasets, and inference drawn from the data, so as to enhance business processes and decision making.
Your duties will include
- Incorporate novel approaches to scientific investigations by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and further research.
- Undertake research into, and development of, advanced statistical and machine learning methodologies.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals and for presentation at national and international conferences.
Location: Eveleigh NSW
Salary: AU$98,735 - AU$106,848 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
- A doctorate or equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline area, such as statistics, mathematics or machine learning.
- Demonstrable experience in the analysis of large, complex datasets using statistics and machine learning.
- Theoretical and practical understanding of statistical and machine learning techniques e.g. Bayesian methods, MCMC, support vector machines, gradient boosting, or deep learning.
- Computer programming languages such as R and Python, and statistical and machine learning tools such as Stan, XGboost, Tensorflow, Theano or Keras. Fluent with git and SQL.
- A record of scientific publications at respected peer-reviewed journals and conferences, and/or patent filings in Australia, Europe or the USA.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
Who we are
CSIRO’s Data61 business unit is the largest data innovation group in Australia, bringing together approximately 600 research and development staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 develops Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Sunday 09 June 2019 at 11.59pm AEST