Senior Electron Microscopist - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Electron Microscopist
- Would you like to contribute your expertise in electron microscopy to investigating infectious pathogens?
- Take a senior leadership role in our electron microscopy facility
- Join the team at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness and really make a difference!
As a Senior Electron Microscopist at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), you will apply transmission electron microscopy to identify viruses and elucidate the mechanisms by which they cause disease. You will be a key member of a multi-disciplinary team focussing on the pathogenesis of infectious disease in animal systems and contributing to diagnostic investigations of pathogen outbreaks. Working under strict microsecurity regulations, your research will be carried out in the high containment facility at the ACDP.
Managing the day-to-day operations of the electron microscopy facility; you will lead and mentor staff in TEM techniques and undertake impactful research projects of all sizes. Working with trusted collaborator networks and drawing on your expertise in electron microscopy, you will design and apply innovative techniques to the investigation of viral disease pathogenesis.
Ideally, we are seeking an expert in TEM with experience in cryo-electron tomography (cryoET) and strong skills in biological microscopy, but given the current climate we may consider the appointment of a promising early career scientist at the appropriate salary level (AU$100k – AU$108k per annum). As such, we will accept applications from individuals within this early career stage and, if required, will review duties and criteria accordingly.
In this role you will:
- Take responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the electron microscopy facility, including the quality of data and quality control of the acquisition, processing and interpretation of data.
- Lead innovative, impactful research of strategic importance, develop challenging but realistic research plans, and negotiate resource requirements.
- Produce high quality scientific papers suitable for publication in quality journals and at conferences.
- Communicate research results, including diagnostic reports, to clients and the scientific community.
- Conduct relevant technical procedures, including tissue and culture preparation.
- Take responsibility for the safe management of toxic materials, including radio-active compounds, related to transmission electron microscopy.
- Examine and interpret biological specimens using transmission electron microscopy.
- Build collaborative networks, be aware of global innovation trends and anticipate industry uptake of new technology.
- Provide scientific and technical expertise, as well as coaching, on-the-job training and instruction pertaining to electron microscopy.
Location: Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), Geelong, Victoria
Salary: AU$115k - AU$135k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, full-time
Residency: Australian Citizens only
To be considered you will hold a PhD (or have an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant discipline of science such as zoology or biomedical science.
You will also have:
- The ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research.
- A solid publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals, client reports, as well as conference abstracts and presentations.
- Extensive experience in transmission electron microscopy.
- Experience in the leadership and day-to-day management of electron microscopy facilities.
- Some knowledge of, and the ability and willingness to develop expertise in the detection and classification of viruses by electron microscopy.
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team and build positive interactions with stakeholders.
To see all the criteria required for success in this role, click on the ‘Position Details’ link below.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Obtain and maintain a security clearance at the NV1 Level
- Undertake a pre-employment medical
- Undertake a National Health Security Check
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
This role will remain open until filled
- VIC - Geelong
- AU$115k - AU$135k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time