RS/RE - Energy and Economic Modelling - [Archived Advertisement]
RS/RE - Energy and Economic Modelling
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our?vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have experience in optimization (Linear Programming, Non-Linear Programming or Mixed-integer Programming problems) or simulation modelling?
- Be a part of the Economic Modelling team within CSIRO Energy
- Create a dynamic career path in this exciting role
CSIRO Energy is playing a key role in Australia’s energy transition. With work spanning from energy efficiency in buildings to the operation of electricity systems, the CSIRO team works across a large range of industries and application domains. Our research includes establishing costs of different technology pathways and modelling different future scenarios - this is often a contentious area and the successful candidate will lead stakeholder discussions and communicate this research.
As the Research Scientist – Energy and Economic Modelling, you will utilise your knowledge of the social and physical sciences, quantitative modelling and energy system to develop techno-economic models of Australia’s energy sector with a view to assessing existing and emerging energy technologies, sector trends and policy directions.
This position is offered across two levels, the appointment level will be determined by the qualifications, skills and relevant experience of the successful candidate.
Your duties will include:
- Incorporating novel approaches to scientific investigations by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and further research.
- Developing, applying and interpreting techno-economic models of the energy system, particularly the Australian electricity and transport sectors.
- Evaluating the potential impact of current or proposed policies on stakeholders across the energy sector value chain.
- Identifying and integrating key energy sector datasets from across Australia and internationally.
- Producing professional reports for key industry and government clients from across the energy sector and contribute to quality science publications.
- Producing high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals and for presentation at national and international conferences.
For appointment at the higher salary level (CSOF6), duties will also include:
- Leading the development of innovative concepts and ideas for further research.
- Leading scientific investigations and direct the associated tasks of other members of the research team.
- Leading research projects, including the negotiation of resource requirements.
Location: Newcastle, NSW preferred, other locations considered
Salary: CSOF5: AU$102k to AU$138k pa + up to 15.4% super
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as Economics, Social or Physical Sciences.
- Demonstrated experience in optimization (Linear Programming, Non-Linear Programming or Mixed-integer Programming problems) or simulation modelling
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out independent individual research, to achieve organisational goals.
- Experience in working on multiple projects simultaneously for internal and external clients.
- Proficiency in the General Algebraic Modelling System (GAMS) or JuMP programming language.
- Strong written and oral communication skills including the ability to publish research results, prepare reports and present the results of scientific investigations at national and international conferences and stakeholder meetings.
For appointment at the higher salary level (CSOF6), essential criteria will also include:
- The ability to lead multi-disciplinary projects and coordinate research, to achieve organisational goals.
- Demonstrated experience in leading development of techno-economic models.
- Demonstrated experience in leading projects for industry or government clients.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible for this position in CSIRO you must be an Australian/ New Zealand Citizen, or Australian Permanent Resident.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
19 June 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 19 Jun 2022
- NSW - Newcastle
- CSOF5: AU$102k to AU$138k pa + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time